Denny’s 2012 Summer Adventures in Allee Willis’ “Willis Wonderland” – part 13

denny Submitted by denny
September 4th, 2012
Jealous (1)

Super fantastic bathroom kitsch!

I’m so jealous of this Max Factor light that I could scream.

Categories: Allee Related, Bathroom, Certifikitsch Winners, Collections, Fashion, Furniture and Lamps, Health & Beauty, Submissions

14 Responses to “Denny’s 2012 Summer Adventures in Allee Willis’ “Willis Wonderland” – part 13”

Modess – 1958

Wish you could see the light better in the photo. Classic vintage Max Factor hood light.

The guest bathroom is FILLED with such vintage bathroom items.

2. windupkitty windupkitty says:

Wow, those Modess boxes are so gorgeous…imagine doing the costuming for a tampon box…why is everything so UGLY now!?!?!

The Max Factor light box is fabulous and I”m so jealous of it! My great uncle was a make up artist for Max Factor and my grandfather (his older brother) was a security guard (hired by MAx Factor Jr) My grandfather took the job to help escort his younger brother out of the studios since the LAPD had a habit of staking out men of the “gentle persuasion” and harassing them if not hurting them. The Hollywood Museum (in the old Max Factor building) is a fabulous place to visit for many reasons, but I think it’s most wonderful that they have made the place a true homage to Factor himself…There is a great documentary about him that runs on a loop and the original rooms for color consultation…So very cool…Max Factor Sr had an incredible life and was so loved by pretty much everyone…My grandfather always spoke very highly of him (and he was a tough customer)….

You can spend hours in the guest bath…so much to see and I miss it! Of course, the first time I stood up and saw that creepy eye on through the window (hanging on the fence outside) I was pretty creeped out, but I still think it’s damn funny….

• Allee Willis Allee Willis says:

Love the family history with Max!

I was at The Hollywood Museum a couple years ago for a Marilyn Monroe exhibit. The Max Factor stuff is fantastic, as is the entire building. If you ever go again, make sure and go downstairs, which isn’t open all the time. They have Hannibal Lector’s jail cell and a lot of other horror stuff, which I’m not into but it’s amazing it’s there. Here’s the link to my blog about that night. Marilyn, Max, and Loni Anderson to boot! http://www.alleewillis.com/awmok/kitschenette/2010/06/02/llee-willis%E2%80%99-kitsch-o%E2%80%99-the-day-%E2%80%93-the-largest-marilyn-monroe-memorabilia-exhibition-ever/

• k2dtw k2dtw says:

LOVE reading about Max Factor.. The history of Max Factor Cosmetics is incredible…I love to find bits and pieces. Were you old enough to be able to enjoy “studio” stories about the movies and the stars??

• windupkitty windupkitty says:

I know, talk about an amazing life he had! What an incredible person! Naw, I didn’t get any stoires,,,unfortunately, my Uncle Billy died waaaay too young (of lung cancer though he never smoked) before I was born, so my Grandfather would fill me in on some things, but he didn’t have the contact that Billy did…My Grandfather did have some pretty good stories about various stars, but I think they were mostly from working in his father’s jewelry store…My great grandfather opened one if not (THE) first jewelry store in Beverly Hills….I think it still exists though is very, very run down and crappy now…

• Allee Willis Allee Willis says:

LOVE this: My great grandfather opened one if not (THE) first jewelry store in Beverly Hills….

• windupkitty windupkitty says:

seriously, he did! i didn’t meet him until i was 11 or 12 years old…he was mean as hell but pretty funny (but MEAN as hell)…he had all the star clients back then..seriously! loads of them! i wish i could remember and/or have access to any of his stories, but i don’t…i’m not sure if anyone does now…my grandfather (his son) told me a few good stories and my father worked in the store a handful of times in the 80s..all i remember about my dad’s experience was that he came home baffled by how short sylvester stalone is…

I haven’t seen any of this stuff.

Absolutely love the family history with Max Sr.