The Allee Willis Museum of Kitsch Live Show Press The D

R.I.P. Morrie Yohai, 90, Inventor of the Cheez Doodle

Mark Blackwell Submitted by Mark Blackwell
August 15th, 2010
Certifikitsch WinnerClassique d' Camembert

Breaking kitsch news: Morrie Yohai, inventor of the Cheez Doodle, has passed away at 90. He changed many lives and turned many people’s fingers orange.

Full obit here in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/business/03yohai.html?_r=1&src=busln

Categories: Artists, Brands, Certifikitsch Winners, Classique d' Camembert, Food, IconoKitschoclasts, People, R.I.P., Submissions

8 Responses to “R.I.P. Morrie Yohai, 90, Inventor of the Cheez Doodle”

As far as I’m concerned this is one of the most significant contributions to modern society ever. Yohai will live on in glowing orange neon bag after bag! R.I.P., Morrie.

I ate a bag in honor of him. RIP Morrie.

3. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

I’m sorry but there’s just something wrong with the Cheese Doodles guy getting an award bearing the name of a cheese that’s much, much higher on the food chain. Can’t you just this once maybe give a, oh, Classique d’ Velveeta?

• Allee Willis Allee Willis says:

I tried working Velveeta into an award name but it just didn’t flow like Classique d‚Äô Camembert did. Will definitely consider it on the next award naming, like maybe Velveeta Doodle or something similar. More Doug kitsch please! I miss your fabulous posts.

4. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

Ha ha, my suggestion was actually more tongue-in-cheek than actual.

Yes, I know I haven’t submitted as much recently and it’s due to two factors: I’m outrageously over-extended on four simultaneous projects, and my kitsch stash is a little on the low-side. I still have some stuff in storage, but it will take some time to get it out, and my recent weekends of hunting haven’t produced anything that worthwhile.

But please know that while I’m slaving over my writing projects, your website is still my #1 source of diversion and procrastination and always will be! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve visited it when I’m supposed to be producing something creatively. So this is just a momentary lull in terms of submitting– you haven’t heard the last of me! (And it’s nice to know my stuff and I are so appreciated!)

5. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

Loving two out of four of them. Like you, the projects where I have creative control make me happy, the others not so much.