“ESKY” FROM ESQUIRE MAGAZINE

k2dtw Submitted by k2dtw
July 10th, 2010
Jealous (1)

This is “ESKY” the wonderfully kitschy mascot of Esquire Magazine. Esky first appeared on the cover of their second issue in 1934.
He was created by the famous black cartoonist E. Simms Campbell, who for years and years did a little risque and very funny cartoons for Esquire.
Esky is about 20″ tall, and he’s made from a resin material. I bought him at a Antique Show outside of Chicago years ago. He was a birthday gift for my husband, who loves advertising related anything. This was way before the computer, so the magazine with the Esquire cover that he has folded under his arm, had to be copied by hand by my wonderful artist friend, and added. It was a good birthday….smile
I’ve included some info on E. Simms Campbell’s cartoon work and great career. He’s all over Google if anyone would like to read/see more of his work.

Categories: Advertising/Promotion, Certifikitsch Winners, Hats, Magazine/Newspaper, People, Statuary/Sculptural, Submissions

13 Responses to ““ESKY” FROM ESQUIRE MAGAZINE”

1. kookykitsch kookykitsch says:

fantastic! I love advertising mascots.

2. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

Wow– what an amazing piece– I’m so envious. Just curious– was this outrageously expensive?

3. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

Whatever it was, I’m sure it was worth it.

• k2dtw k2dtw says:

Thank you… The computer is so wonderful. There were only books to reference when we found The Esky Mascot.
      I was just looking at a Google search for E. Simms Campbell and saw a “Nightclub Map of Harlem” that he did in 1932, the artwork is fabulous.
      Do you collect vintage typewriters, or anything that would relate to writing or film?

4. Douglas Wood Douglas Wood says:

I occasionally acquire bits of movie memorabilia, but for the most part, when I’m at home, I don’t like to be reminded of WORK!

5. selwithdel says:

I just wanted to mention that I have a similar, if not the same item, an esky mascot….the one I have isn’t in as good condition as yours, and someone colored the hair black….I’m not sure how many were made, and I’m glad to see that another one has found a good home.

Esky has another friend at AWMOK but with a different color mustache and not carrying his Esquire: http://www.alleewillis.com/awmok/kitschenette/2010/10/26/esky/