baby in a gas mask

john switzer Submitted by john switzer
January 26th, 2011

Social meme 1940 “you are never too young to think about death.”I guess the umbrella indicated that an umbrella, like a gas mask should be carried at all times.Just to be on the safe side.YIKES

Categories: Certifikitsch Winners, Children, Magazine/Newspaper, Political/Patriotic, Submissions

24 Responses to “baby in a gas mask”

As someone who in 1985 was named one of the most dangerous subversives living in the United States by Pravda, the official newspaper of the Russian Communist government and singled out with Prince for being one of the most dangerous people in rock ‘n roll, I can totally appreciate this cover!

What good is that umbrella going to do???

2. Lisa Rios Lisa Rios says:

WOW! Really? One of the most dangerous subversives living in the US?? Did you have a t-shirt made? A poster? I would soooo own that glorious title if I were you!

3. Markydoodle Markydoodle says:

I know I would love Hawkeye, and that is some cool do.

Not unlike so many stories of your life, I think this one’s details would be great to hear someday!

How did you find out it was in Pravda? Did someone from the L.A. times call you?

4. Markydoodle Markydoodle says:

John, thanks for posting this. it’s great!

5. john switzer john switzer says:

Atomic Allee, Bond Girl or Queen of Kitsch? Though it must of been freaky weird at the time,I am sorry,I can’t stop laughing!

6. windupkitty windupkitty says:

What I don’t understand is why they think you’re no longer a threat! Or, do they??!!! I think that picture of you and Hawkeye coulda won the cold war singlehanded…..You’re a pretty fearsome pair and I, for one, would NOT underestimate the two of you!

I’m not sure what freaks me out more about the pic of the baby…his poorly rendered bright,shiny, engorged freaky legs and feet or the fact that he seems to be missing a diaper…..Oh, and I guess there’s the gas mask, which should help when someone drops the a-bomb….

When I first read the title to this post, all I could hear in my head was “baby’s in a gas mask, I know, I know it’s serious” …..to the tune of the Morrissey song about his girlfriend (or was it hairdresser?) being in a coma……

7. BRBill BRBill says:

This sorta reminds me of the Frank Zappa gas mask stories…same era too.

• Allee Willis Allee Willis says:

Too bad you’re not in LA where Gail Zappa is speaking at the Grammy Museum tonight. “Join us for a Zappa-wise and Zappa-wide view of the Composer in Residence at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen (UMRK), part and soul of the cottage industrial complex where Zappa hung his hat (the wide-brimmed pointy one, slightly crumpled at the top with the stars and comets on) for virtually his entire adult life and career. This inside/multi/track discussion will examine the wherefores of FZ’s statement “Music is the Best!” and include audio and visual elements and a bit of live music presented by Gail Zappa with Todd Yvega and Joe Travers. Moderated by Scott Goldman, VP, GRAMMY Foundation, followed by audience Q & A.”